Sallie Mae Director, Treasury Risk in Salt Lake City, Utah
Director, Treasury Risk
Req ID R01393
Sallie Mae is a company created with great purpose. We make the dream of higher education a reality. We do it by being a resource for families who want to save, plan, and pay for college. Our vision, to be a trusted financial partner, inspires us to explore new ways to serve our customers every day. No matter what position you hold at Sallie Mae, you'll have a role in moving us toward that vision.
Over the last 40 years, Sallie Mae has helped more than 34 million Americans pay for college. The same passion we have for helping customers is applied to helping our employees achieve professional and personal growth. With a wide range of opportunities available, we invite you to join our growing team and help students make their dreams of higher education a reality.
This asset and liability management position carries primary responsibility for modeling and managing the interest rate risk of Sallie Mae Bank, as well as supporting liquidity management and capital management functions of the Treasury organization. Managing and running the Asset & Liability market risk model is a primary role, including developing risk management strategies, interfacing with other bank and affiliate departments to understand key business developments affecting the Bank and its financial products and instruments, refinement and reporting of all critical modeling assumptions, presentation of results to ALCO, executive reporting and ad hoc market risk analysis for the Treasurer and Asset and Liability Committee, and supporting all model risk management, validation, audit and regulatory examination processes.
The position is also responsible to carry out other liquidity-related functions. The candidate will share responsibility for managing banking relationships and for negotiating brokered deposits and interest rate derivatives transactions and for preparing the necessary documentation. The candidate performs certain daily funds transfer workflow and Federal Reserve Bank activities, including collateral management, term deposit placements and other activities with the Fed. The candidate is expected to have a solid understanding of investment products and their appropriate use in the bank's portfolio. In addition, the position serves as the system access coordinator for funds transfer and other systems, develops and runs SQL reports as needed, supports the cash forecasting process, and participates in departmental and cross-functional projects.
The candidate will be responsible for documentation and compliance of the controls, policies, procedures, and regulatory guidance relevant to responsibilities. The position plays a key role in planning for and executing Treasury-related internal and external audits of its key areas of responsibility.
The position must be able to communicate effectively with internal and external parties as well as be able to manage multiple tasks simultaneously while guaranteeing timely completion of each.
Manage and run interest rate risk model, sensitivity testing, back testing - 45%
ALCO Support -- executive reporting and presentations, ad hoc analysis, minutes - 10%
Funds transfer approvals, wire release, forecast support and fed activities - 15%
Manage database, develop and run SQL reports, Principia analysis - 15%
Manage bank relationships, negotiate swaps and brokered CDs - 10%
System access coordination - 5%
- Bachelor's Degree in Finance/Accounting/ or related field
- MBA or Master's Degree in Finance preferred; CFA, CPA, CMA or CTP viewed favorably
- 7-10 years relevant experience working with treasury and/or corporate finance functions
- 3-5 years financial analysis and modeling experience
- 3-5 years prior experience with asset and liability management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Treasury operations experience strongly preferred
- Banking experience critical
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office, particularly Excel and Access
- Advanced modeling skills in Excel
- Strong communication skills, including ability to present complex concepts
- Solid understanding of IRR modeling techniques and experience with A/L software
- Demonstrated knowledge of risk management principles, financial analysis and modeling
- Basic understanding of financial statements and related analysis
- Strong analytic skills with attention to detail
- Ability to work with shifting priorities with tight deadlines
- Experience with SOX and other internal controls, documentation and testing
- SQL query experience
Strong understanding of financial theory, including investment structures and risks
EEO Employer Minority/Female/Disability/Veteran/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. SLM Corporation and its subsidiaries are not sponsored by or agencies of the United States of America. Sallie Mae is a drug free workplace.
Location Salt Lake City, UT
Date Posted Sep 15, 2017